Performs installation; maintenance and repair of Network/Computer/Telecommunications infrastructure.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Installs; maintains and repairs voice; data and wireless communications systems.
- Maintains telecommunications equipment and installs; rearranges and removes equipment and associated wiring.
- Interprets service orders; circuit diagrams; and electrical schematics.
- Tests; locates; and repairs equipment problems associated with trouble calls; and performs routine maintenance.
- Verifies work order information and receipt of all necessary equipment and information.
- Provides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced technicians.
- Sustains current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned.
- Participates in special projects as required.
- Must be able to work with cable reels, shears, stripping tools and trenching machines.
The Ideal Candidate for this Position
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems.
- Must have color vision, to read color-codes and be able to trace color-coded pairs/strands.
- Manual dexterity, strong customer service skills.
- Familiarity with workforce management software, ping tools and customer relationship management software.
- Responds to and prioritizes incoming service requests promptly and professionally.
- Collaborates with vendors, providers, and even competitors in a “same team” mentality focused on the shared goal of the customer’s happiness.
- Understands that a job is not “completed” until everyone involved has been informed.
- Exemplifies a “proactive” approach in their job duties and responsibilities
- Actively seeks out opportunities to be challenged and expand knowledge.
- Contributes to the team proportionately to expectations for receipt of contributions from the team.
- Adapts effortlessly to dynamically shifting priorities and circumstances without causing any stress to the customer or the team.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Associates degree in a related technical discipline; electronics repair or related field.
- Minimum of two (2) years of recent experience in the installation; testing; troubleshooting; and repair of telecommunication outside of infrastructure cabling.
- Recent experience performing outside plant cable technician/installation duties
- Exceptional discipline, time management, and ability to work with minimal supervision and a high degree of autonomy.
- Working knowledge of OSHA and EPA directives applicable to outside communications cable plant work and work in confined spaces essential.
- Experience with outside plant; plastic sheathed; copper telephone cable ranging from 25 to 2,400 pairs and outside plant; multi/single mode.
- Knowledge testing fiber optic cable to include the use of power meters and time domain reflectometers is imperative.
- Reliable form of transportation.
- Other duties as assigned or needed.
Beneficial Experiences (preferred but not required):
- Exposure to ITIL framework.
- Familiarity with:
- HIPAA Compliance
- VoIP Systems and Devices
- Imaging Solutions
There are no supervisory responsibilities in this position.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Standing and walking for periods of time.
- Sitting for long periods of time.
- Bending, kneeling, reaching with hands and arms.
- Lifting and carrying wires, computer equipment, assorted items up to 100 pounds.
- The ability to operate and control the actions of equipment and machinery, requiring the monitoring, adjustment, regulation, and/or setting of multiple conditions.
- Normal hearing for discussion with others.
- Speaking clearly to communicate with others.
- Constant vision in using computers, reading fine print, interacting with the public and coworkers; visual requirements include hand/eye coordination & visual acuity in near/mid ranges.
Normal business office environment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.